Monday, September 28, 2015

Eating Vegan on $3/Day: Day 2

I met my caloric goal today and came in under budget. I did it by sacrificing the tomato and broccoli for peanut butter and an extra serving of soy milk and bran flakes. I kept the peach; it felt like a real treat. My digestive system is protesting the sudden onslaught of so many beans so I thought the bran flakes and soy milk might be a little easier on it. I got adequate protein, fat, and carbs. Came up short on calcium again. Not sure what a "serving" of a fruit or vegetable is.

I was really tempted several times today to consume things that were off budget. I've managed to resist so far.

I went investigating different sources for the nutritional content of home made soy milk. Since the bean to water ratio will vary, it's impossible to find a reliable number. I use about 100 grams of dry soybeans for a quart of soy milk. It seems like pretty rich milk to my taste.

Here's today's menu, cost, & nutritional content:

Day #2: Monday, Aug. 10


Breakfast

Bran flakes:       .10
Soy milk:           .04
Tea:                   .01
Banana:            .15
  Total:           $.30


Lunch

Black beans & rice:    .39
Kale 70 g                   .15
Tea                             .01
    Total:                   $.55

Dinner

Chili 1 c                       .26
4 corn tortillas             .27
Peach                          .46
      Total                   $ .99

Snacks

PB & Celery                  .19
Carrots 4 oz.                  .15
Bran flakes                    .10
½ cup soy milk              .02
PB&celery                     .19
            Total                   .65

Monday total:

Breakfast:             .30
Lunch:                  .55
Dinner                  .99
Snacks:                .65
Total                   2.49


Nutritional content:

Calories: 1739
Protein:    67 g.
Carbs:     264 g.
Total fat:  57 g.
Calcium:  53% RDA


No comments:

Post a Comment